Majors & Degrees
Industries that provide food, fabric, fuel, and medicine are rooted in plant sciences. As populations grow, plant scientists will lead emerging fields where innovation is needed in developing more sustainable solutions to engineer, grow, manufacture, and market the products we all use every day.
The School of Plant Sciences offers two customizable degree options with diverse, interdisciplinary courses taught in real-world settings by faculty eager to mentor you to succeed. Plant Sciences is detailed below, but the Sustainable Plant Systems major may be a better fit.
B.S. in Plant Sciences
Plant Sciences pairs comprehensive preparation in foundation sciences of biology with practical training in basic and applied Plant Sciences including biotechnology and plant breeding. Faculty and advisors engage you in learning, challenging you to apply classroom knowledge to solve real world problems though hands-on technical training in laboratory, field, and industrial settings. These real-world collaborations equip you with the confidence, expertise, and connections to enter post-graduate studies or careers in biotechnology and breeding research with applications in agriculture, medicine, pharmacy, microbiology, and more.
The Plant Sciences program is right for you if:
- you are driven toward innovations in research and technology to create efficient processes, and sustainable products,
- you want to research, test, and analyze soil, microorganisms, and plants,
- you have a passion for working in collaborative teams within industries related to agriculture and the environment,
- you’re conscious of growing world populations and the need for a more efficient and abundant supply of sustainable food, renewable energy, medicines, and materials,
- you want to advance environmental conservation and restoration efforts,
- you see yourself working in greenhouses, managing land or breeding plants,
- you have an interest in non-profits, government and commercial enterprises, especially international commerce and policy,
- you’re interested in guiding legislation policy that governs renewable energy, creation and testing of genetically modified plants, or plant exploration, transport and classification,
- you want to educate the next generation about plant sciences, or
- you are considering pursuing a graduate degree.
A Comprehensive Hands-on Education
Plant Sciences provides a welcoming community, where you’ll learn from leading scientists and passionate educators eager to provide you with technical training, broad scientific content mastery, and a capacity for critical thought and evaluation honed in active learning environments tailored to your interests. Our integrated, global approach prepares you to excel in a range of rewarding positions focused on global priorities.